A PAST AS BRIGHT AS THE FUTURE
Built on a history of high expectations and high performance, education in the Marana community dates back to the early 1920’s, long before Marana was incorporated. A cornerstone of the first high school building still remains on the Estes Elementary School site with the words engraved “Union High School #2 – 1924.” The graduating class of 1922 had two students.
The Marana Elementary District was formed in 1939, and included a couple of smaller area school districts. In 1942, the Marana High School District was formed.
In 1948, the elementary and high school districts began to operate with one Governing Board. The budget for the 1949-1950 school year was $147,800 for an enrollment of 350 students. The teaching staff consisted of eight elementary school teachers and six high school staff. The graduating class of 1948 consisted of four students and jumped to 12 in 1949.
In 1953, a new Marana High School building was opened, which is now Marana Middle School. Additions were made to the Marana elementary building in 1955.
In 1981, the Governing Board unified the Marana Elementary District and the Marana High School District to become the Marana Unified School District #6.
Today, the 550 sq. mile District has grown to include eleven elementary schools, one intermediate school, two middle schools, two high schools, and one alternative school. A staff of 1,800 full, part-time, and substitute educational and support employees serve over 12,500 students.
The District is an integral part of the community and takes pride in knowing they are one of the reasons families choose to live in the Marana area.